We’ve recently released our latest mtb edit; all about legendary #mtbwomen who ride in Wales. It’s already had 30,000 views and counting…
Talking about all things mtb and women, we looked back at an article by American Jacqui Phelan (now dubbed the Godmother of Mountain Biking and founder of the wonderfully named WOMBATS, the Women’s Mountain Bike And Tea Society!) where she recounts her story and how she discovered mountain biking love, on the US based Bicycle Story blog. Over the years so many more stories have been told by the increasing number of women taking up the sport; many of whom choose Wales as their preferred destination.
We guess that one of the reasons for choosing Wales can, in part, be expressed by this quote from the stellar pro rider Rachel Atherton,
“It’s the only place that I feel comfortable and the place that I always go back to …Wales has it all”.
It’s certainly a great place for all levels of rider (as you’ll see from our edit) and there are opportunities for all those women joining the sport fuelled by the interest (in no small part,) of the continuing success and positive media coverage of Wales based stars such as Manon Carpenter and of course, Rachel.
But it’s not all about an elite level; everyone starts somewhere and there are plenty of options specifically for women to get out there in a friendly, confidence building environment here in Wales with a range of ladies only mountain bike courses.
Here are just a few this year…
- Women’s Only Events like these offered by Daisychain – events throughout Mid Wales and the Brecon Beacons
- Specialist ladies only courses programed by Forest Free Ride in Powys
- “Girls only” coaching sessions from Evolution Adventure near Wrexham and Campbell Coaching (North and South Wales)
- In our edit you’ll see the great ladies coaching (including one to one) on offer from pro coach Cheri at One Planet Adventure at Coed Llandegla – a perfect way to get your confidence and skills to the next level
- Added to the above there are lots of #mtbwomen Facebook groups springing up to coordinate heading out without the guys – like this one based in south Wales, MTB Divas is easily joined on Facebook and numbers are growing all the time.
- Keep in touch and you’ll find out about Women’s Weekends and Uplift days in places like BikePark Wales who also offer women specific core skills training (with dates coming up in April and June)
We’re adding dates to our calendar all the time, but, for now let’s finish with another great quote from our edit from a great mtb enthusiast named Claire Bennett who we chatted to in Penmachno. Last words go to Claire
“I love riding in Wales because of the natural beauty, the big views, the big vistas, the wild weather…..yep – just all of that!”
ps. on social media? Remember to use #mtbwomen and we’ll get sharing